Pacifica Orthopedics, Huntington Beach, California.

Request An Appointment

When To Seek Advice About Your Shoulder Pain


Should you experience acute pain in your shoulder then you should seek attention at your local medical health center. There they may refer you to see an Orthopedic surgeon. An Orthopedic surgeon is someone who specializes in the musculoskeletal system, that is the joints, tendons, ligaments, bones and muscles.

Initially, seeing a registered physician at a medical center will diagnose the complaint. If it can be treated without the need for further specialist attention the physician may prescribe some pain relievers and recommend resting the shoulder.

If the pain is chronic and does not seem to go away even with rest and pain killers, then you should really follow up with an appointment to address the shoulder pain. Sometimes physical therapy is utilized as this can help the joints and muscles to become stronger again after an injury.

Should your shoulder be swollen, or is red and hot to touch then you should seek attention for it swiftly. Often times the scope of treatment that can be undertaken is dependent upon how soon the patient seeks assistance with the ailment. Other pain such as joint soreness, stiffness and reluctance to move the arm needs to be addressed also.

When visiting your Orthopedic surgeon, you will be asked how long you have had the problem, has it increased in severity over time, what restrictions has it caused and what treatment have your sought for it already. Your surgeon will quickly diagnose the condition and talk with you about a plan of action for the pain management as well as perhaps discussing treatment options.

Check the medical services listings in your area for the Orthopedic surgery closest to you. Remember that the more sever the pain may be the sooner you should seek assistance for it. This does not however, discount that sufferers of less severe pain should seek advice from an orthopedic provider.

Other posts you may interested in…