A Psychologist offers assessment and counseling for all conditions relating to the psychological impact of sickness, injury or other trauma in a person’s life. They differ from Psychiatrists who treat using medications and other medical interventions.

Psychological damage is not always obvious at first when the patient is still in shock but it become evident later on. After an accident or fall each patient is carefully screened to see if they need psychological therapy. You may even be asked to fill out a questionnaire about your feelings towards the circumstances of your injury and your present state of mind.

Counseling and therapy are therapies typically offered by a psychologist who is either a clinical psychologist or a counseling psychologist. Many psychologists are also involved in teaching and research at universities major hospitals and medical research institutes. Large companies also have their own resident psychologists for staff members who will intervene should there be a need to. Staff is encouraged to discuss any problems or work related issues with the psychologist.

Many general practice clinics these days have a range of practitioners which can work together on a patient. For instance if you are treated for arthritis by one practitioner they may suggest you see another therapist for some physical therapy or pain management therapists for instance. When there are several different practitioners under one roof this is convenient for both the doctors and the patients. A psychologist is a useful addition to a general practice, an orthopedic practice or even at a practice specializing in surgery. Patients suffer from psychological trauma as a result of many different injuries and some treatment like hip replacement can be psychologically traumatic.

Psychological therapy is usually paced out across a few months to have the best results, with weekly sessions the normal practice. Patients can have daily therapy while they are in hospital if it is necessary.